Member Selection Process
KHS National Honor Society
Revised: February 23, 2016
The purpose of the Turley Oakley chapter of the National Honor Society is to create an enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote worthy leadership, and to encourage the development of character in students of Kenwood High School. To become a member of this organization, students must meet the requirements set forth in the bylaws, and demonstrate an effort to achieve the tenants of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. The following are the steps taken to choose new inductees into membership:
- As per the bylaws, members must maintain a minimum of a 93% cumulative grade point average. To ensure students have met this requirement, a chapter adviser runs a report from PowerSchool of all upcoming juniors and seniors along with their cumulative grade point average. All students with a cumulative GPA of less than 93% are eliminated. This demonstrates the tenant of scholarship.
- As per the bylaws, members are not allowed any discipline referrals or disciplinary action other than one cell phone referral. To ensure students have met this requirement, a chapter adviser runs a discipline log from PowerSchool, compares the log to the list of students who have met the cumulative GPA requirement, and then eliminates any student who has had a discipline referral. This demonstrates the tenant of character.
- To demonstrate the tenants of service and leadership, students who have met the scholarship and character requirements are invited to complete a packet that contains teacher recommendations, a community recommendation, a biographical essay, and a list of activities.
- A five-member faculty/administration selection panel will consider all students who have completed the packet by the due date. The chapter advisers are not members of the selection panel and have no vote in student selection.
- The selection panel’s decisions are presented to the school principal for approval.
- After the principal’s approval, students are notified in writing by a chapter adviser as to the selection panel’s decision.
- Selected students will be inducted during a special ceremony the following fall semester.